ISPI, the T20 National Coordinator and Chair, and Boston University Global Development Policy Center are co-promoting the T20 Associated-event “Meeting the Moment: Debt Relief for Middle Income Countries”, in cooperation with the Creco Research Institute, the Centre for Social and Economic Progress, The Group of 24, the Centre for Finance and Development at the the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, the Labour 20 and LPEM FEB UI. The public webinar will take place on Tuesday, June 1 at 10 AM EST/4 PM CEST. It features Shamshad Akthar from the Core Group of the Debt Relief for a Green and Inclusive Recovery Project, giving a preview of our next analysis.
Over 70 countries around the world might be at risk of external debt distress this year, including many middle income countries (MICs). As the world runs the risk of a financial crisis from the COVID-19 pandemic, MICs are showing particularly high vulnerabilities. This is worrying, as most of these countries are not covered by current debt relief schemes.
What can the global community expect from rising debt levels in MICs? How can MICs avoid financial crises out of COVID-19? And what can the G20 do to support these countries?
Date: 01 June 2021 / Time: 10 AM EST/4 PM CEST / Venue: Zoom
- Mia MOTTLEY, Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, Barbados
- Carmen REINHART, Vice President and Chief Economist, World Bank Group
- Shamshad AKHTAR, Chairperson, Pakistan Stock Exchange; Former Central Bank Governor and Minister of Finance, Pakistan
- Rakesh MOHAN, President and Distinguished Fellow, Centre for Social and Economic Progress (CSEP), India
- Franco BRUNI, Vice President, ISPI; Lead Co-Chair, T20 Italy TF9 on International Finance
- Kevin P. GALLAGHER, Director, Global Development Policy Center, Boston University; Co-Chair, T20 TF9 on International Finance